Oxidized bitumen 105/15

oxidized bitumen 105/15

Oxidized bitumen 105-15

Bitumen has a long history of being used safely in a wide range of applications. oxidized bitumen 105/15 is primarily used in road construction, it is also employed in roofing felts, reservoir linings and as an internal lining for potable water pipes as well as having a myriad of other uses .

Usages of oxidized bitumen 105-15

The most majority of oxidized bitumen 105/15 used in asphalt for road construction is conventional bitumen; that is why it is often known as paving grade. The term ‘pen grade’ is short for penetration grade, and reflects the fact that this type of product is often classified (in Europe and parts of Asia) using the penetration test. The term straight run refers to the fact that this type of oxidized bitumen 105/15is often produced direct from the vacuum distillation process, without any further modification. Current estimates put the world use of oxidized bitumen 105/15 at approximately 102 million tonnes per year and about 85% of all the bitumen produced is used in asphalt for the construction of roads and other paved areas. Typically, asphalt will contain approximately 5% by mass of bitumen, with the remaining 95% consisting of a mixture of mineral aggregates and much finer materials such as limestone filler.

Blowing process  bitumen 105-15

After preheating, the short residue is introduced into the blowing column just below the normal liquid level. Air is blown through the bitumen by means of an air distributor located at the bottom of the column. The air acts not only as a reactant but also serves to agitate and mix the oxidized bitumen 105/15, thereby increasing both the surface area and the rate of reaction. The bitumen absorbs oxygen as air ascends through the material. Steam and water are sprayed into the vapour space above the bitumen level, the former to suppress foaming and dilute the oxygen content of waste gases and the latter to cool the vapours in order to prevent after-burning and the resulting formation of coke.

Safe delivery of bitumen 105-15

Over 50% of bitumen related accidents and incidents that result in lost working days occur during the delivery of oxidized bitumen 105/15. In Europe, Eurobitume has produced a detailed code of practice (Eurobitume and the Asphalt Institute, 2011) designed to assist in reducing the frequency of incidents and accidents by raising awareness of their causes. Personnel involved in the delivery and receipt of bitumen are strongly advised to refer to this document.

Analyze of bitumen 105-15




Specific gravity @25/25 C

1.05 approx.


Penetration @25C



Softening point C






Loss on heating (wt)%



Flash point C



Solubility in CS2 (wt)%



Specific gravity @25/25 C

1.05 approx.


Open chat